Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Holly Jolly Good Time

While catching up on my friends I stopped by to see what Bee was doing. I was breathless with excitement when I saw that I was not the only person to get a jump start on decorating for the holidays. Bee does the same thing. Actually that’s not true; Bee got a jump start even on me! As I will be heading up north into the path of snow and ice over the Thanksgiving holiday, I’m dusting off my Christmas decorations a week early. Sunday will be spent taking the thirty-seven boxes out of my mother’s attic that contain my holiday garlands, wall hangings, nativity scenes, ginormous Christmas village, tree ornaments, yard decorations, and a vast array of strings of lights. If there is a space, nook, cranny, spot, corner, niche, or spot there is going to be some kind of goo-ga placed “just so”. It’s a long and tedious process but every year I gear up by popping in a holiday CD (maybe an Ella Fitzgerald or a Harry Connick, Jr.), pouring a beer into a green or red goblet to prepare myself and my family for an entire week of decorating and destruction. Destruction? Yeah, I have so much crap that I have to pack up bookcases and tchotchkes in order to properly display my collection of…well…holiday crap.

I hate taking down my fall decorations because fall is probably my favorite season of the year. I love the colors, the smells, and the turtleneck sweaters I get to unpack from their summer hiding place in the back of my closet.






But by bringing out the sparkles, shimmers, and colors of Christmas my sadness is short lived.

Anyone else a Christmas Decoration Addict that would like to start participating in our weekly CDA Meetings? Free membership!

9 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

I like to just hang a pinecone from a piece of yarn.

Bee (the one who muses) said...

I had to laugh at Dr. Zibbs' comment!

I always put my Christmas decorations the weekend after my birthday (11/11). I love the feeling of peace and love and murderous rage (shopping mall parking lots grrrrr) that washes over me during that time. ;o)

Queen Goob said...

Dr. Z - I think I have one of those somewhere in one of the boxes.

Bee - That's my Grandpa Doc's birthday; Happy Belated Birthday! Oh, and I feel your rage; isn't Chrstmas shopping FUN?

Jess said...

I am not much of a decorator...but I totally love the food that comes with the season!

Anonymous said...

Funny story: I took my daughter to Walgreens yesterday to pick up a prescription and we were bombarded by a pile of Christmas crap: decorations, candy, lights, Santa. She said, "I can't believe that! It's not even Thanksgiving yet?" I almost peed my pants when she said that. LOL!!!

INNER VOICES said...

one year a friend and i made ginger bread men to hang as ornaments from my charlie brown tree (a bunch of branches screwed together to make a tree shape) any way, she got all bummed out causethe majority of the ginger men limbs and heads broke off. ever the fix it man that i am, i grabbed a sleeve of sewing needles and carefully stuck them into the men and put all their limbs back on...

yeah me right?


ah no...


a week or so later during one of my usual christmas parties people began eating some of the hanging men before i could tell them they were not for eating. one buddy comes screaming into the kitchen mouth full of blood and a broken needle sticking out of the roof of his mouth...

that was the last year i tried to do any decorating for the holidayz.

Anonymous said...

I hate taking down my fall decorations because fall is probably my favorite season of the year. I love the colors, the smells, and the turtleneck sweaters I get to unpack from their summer hiding place in the back of my closet.

I swear, I could have written this myself. But I didn't. 'Cause I never would have worded it as descriptively (is that even a word?) as you did.

I love Christmas decorations too, and to try and snap out of my current funk, I actually brought out our decorations today and started putting stuff out around the house. The tree is up, but I need hubs to string the lights and then I take it from there. Definitely with some honkin' awesome Christmas CD's playing and a glass of beer or wine in my free hand!!!

just bob said...

Bah Humbug.

Anonymous said...

I just started decorating. One fireplace and mantel down, 1 to go. I try to to do 1 or 2 boxes a day so I'm not overwhelmed with everthing. I love decorating early. If I had an artificial tree , it would be up so I could enjoy looking at for a few weeks.

#1