Sunday, June 29, 2008

Don't Worry, I Won't Tag You

Through my perusing of the blogisphere, I ran across a meme that’s making the rounds. I first had to figure out what the hell a meme was. I’d been meme’d not too long ago and consider myself a well read person but I had no idea whatsoever what the frick ‘n frack a damn meme was. Thanks to Wikipedia I am now an informed individual.

This is a book meme I’m sure each and every one of you has already run scared from. Don’t worry, I’m not tagging anyone. Anywho, as I am an avid reader and read each and every day (except for those rare occasions I’m too sloshed to hold a book in my hand, let alone read) this one struck my fancy. The rules are simple:

Rules:

Pick up the nearest book.

Turn to page 123.

Find the 5th sentence.

Copy down the next three sentences..

I am currently reading three books so this will give you a little bit of everything:

Necroscope by Brian Lumley. (I was visiting Book-A-Million this past weekend to pick up a few reads to wile away the evenings while the spawn are out of town. Having recently been dumped by my man, I informed the young gentleman at the information desk I was in the mood for a read with a little “bloodfest” maybe “a slaughter or two”. He recommended this series of books of which I purchased the first three of fourteen.)

At the top he paused to draw breath, sat down for a moment swatting at midges in the pale beams of sunlight lancing down through tall, dark pines, then dragged the box along the crest of the ridge to a place where he could see a track running clear to the bottom. In some forgotten yesteryear, a fire-break had been cut here before the lumbermen had remembered or been told about the nature of the place; since then saplings had sprung up once more to almost but not quite obscure the scar. Now that scar was to become the track of Boris’s daredevil ride.

Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Come on guys, be nice, I’m in need of a little romance in my life!)

One of the makeup artists approached him and began to spray his chest from a plastic bottle so that his muscles glistened with oil. He glanced down at himself. Even from a distance, she could see that he looked befuddled, and she couldn’t help smiling as she observed his reaction to what he certainly saw as unnecessary adornment.

And Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Hey, I’m reading it to make sure it’s appropriate for my teenaged daughter! FINE! I’m just reading it for the fun of it.)

...after I get my license," he amended."Who was that other boy Lauren was talking to? He seemed a little old to be hanging out with us." I purposefully lumped myself in with the youngsters, trying to make it clear that I preferred Jacob."That's Sam - he's nineteen," he informed me.

And there you have it, my first official meme where I actually know what the hell a meme is.

8 comments:

Alice said...

I couldn't do this meme because every book around me was too smutty for my mom. And I seriously looked and it seemed like every page 123 had raunch. I need an anonymous blog for my mom's benefit.

Queen Goob said...

I have the same problem so I didn't include Penthouse Uncensored.

the mama bird diaries said...

Your reading THREE books? God, I've got to start reading more.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) said...

..."and the Lord said to Abraham"... oh who am I trying to kid, I am not even remotely religious.

sorry the only book near me right now is a bus schedule :-(

KathyLikesPink said...

Hey I never thought of looking up meme at Wikipedia! I think I'll go do that now...

"Twilight" - my daughter has read all three in the series. She is totally into "the dark side". I have started the first one 2 or 3 times but then she comes and takes it back again. It seemed pretty entertaining, though.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Now, I want to know what you actually think of the twilight series. I can also inform you it is so mild and okay for spawnette to read, it squeeks!

Queen Goob said...

Mama – I have no life with teenagers; they don’t hang around the house anymore. Reading is all I got.

Quickie – Boy, those nuns really kicked your ass in parochial school, didn’t they. That bus route? Your regular driver isn’t “Dave” is it? LOL

Kath – Twilight is okay, a little tame for my tastes BUT as my daughter wants to read it I guess that’s a good thing.

Bonnie – It’s perfect for my daughter; I little a little more of a bloodbath BUT that’s just me. I did tell you Man broke up with me right? But I swear the bloodbath thing has NOTHING to do with that……

Bonnie the Boss said...

Man isn't playing with a full deck!How could he leave that hotness that is you? He hasn't seen the William Wallace get-up yet has he? He'll be back!
Hey, you need to try the City of Bones series. I liked it a lot. May be you have and I just don't remember.