Friday, July 11, 2008

Southern Hospitality

So as many of you know I recently began taking public transportation to save a bit of money due to high gas costs (I drive a rather large SUV.) This morning I waited at the stop as usual, the bus was a few minutes late, and as I got on board SuavĂ© Dave the driver told me to go ahead and sit down, the ride was on him. Thanks Dave, but I’m still not going out with you. Most of the riders are regulars and as Southerners we tend to chitchat with each other getting to know one another on a more personal basis than most public transportation patrons. Ms. Hilda has been riding the bus since the invention of the wheel so pretty much everyone knows her. She is a very kind woman who I help off the bus each morning as she uses a cane and needs her extra hand to disembark.

Today was a special day. When we arrived at the downtown terminal all transfers exited the bus as usual. Suddenly, another driver boarded the bus with a bouquet of flowers and a balloon. Why you ask? Today is Ms. Hilda’s birthday so in an off-key chorus of mismatched voices we all sang Happy Birthday to Ms. Hilda and wished her a most fabulous day.

I know, is this some crazy shit or what?!?! Flowers, balloons, birthday celebration, ON A CITY BUS! Knowing how skeptical of my silly stories a few of you can be, I had a picture taken with my phone to share this joyous occasion.



Happy Birthday Ms. Hilda!

23 comments:

Alice said...

That is probably one of the nicest things I've read in awhile. Let her know I said, "Happy Birthday!"

Mrs. R said...

Can you imagine what the people passing you had to be thinking? I'm sure they'd never seen anything like that, so they probably assumed you guys were all drunk.

That is a sweet story though. Happy Birthday Ms. Hilda!

Anonymous said...

And they say nothing good ever happens in this big, bad world.

That's an awesome story!

Bee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. HILDA!!!

That would be so cool, to get flowers in an unusual place while going about my day.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Ms. Hilda. And Dave is so cool, because you KNOW he was behind that.

Jess said...

I want to take the bus!
I only live four blocks from where I work, so that wouldn't be feasible...but your stories are more fun than my going to work stories.

Megan said...

This story just made my Friday. I'll be at work for six more hours but I'll be a little happier now!

hmduey said...

And that makes me sad I didn't ride the bus today...

Unknown said...

A bus driver who waves the fare and flowers and balloons on pubic transit?

Gosh-- I used to get some crazy guy close-talking at me, and people who haven't bathed in a month trying to sit on me, when I took the bus...

That's it, I'm relocating! :)

just bob said...

Wow, that is very cool. If you tried doing that on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) the wino in the corner would pee on the flowers and the punk gangsta hoodlums would lift Ms. Hilda's purse.

Anonymous said...

That was so absolutely cool! Restores your faith in the world a teeny bit :)

Attila the Mom said...

What a fabulous story! Indeed, happy birthday, Miz H!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Now THAT'S why I want to move to the south!

Magpie said...

awesome.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) said...

Nice to know people still care about each other - what a great thing to witness!

MadMad said...

No freakin' way! That is awesome!

Skeeter said...

Aw, it's beautiful! That really makes me smile. Thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes,
Skeeter

Michelle Flaherty said...

You have an extended family! That's a really sweet story!

Bonnie the Boss said...

So dang cool!!!! It is something that doesn't happen often. But since she has been riding the bus since the invention of the wheel. I can see why. Great story. I am looking forward to the crappy morning one too. You always weave a fab tale. Happy day to You and Hilda.

Suzanne said...

That's the best!!! Only in the south. Like Bob said, that would never happen here, but it happens somewhere and that matters. Happy BD Ms. Hilda! And QG, thanks for sharing this story.

XO

the mama bird diaries said...

I'm going to start taking the damn bus.

happy bday wishes to ms. hilda.

Queen Goob said...

Hi Everyone! Sorry I didn't post a reply thanking you for stopping by but as you will see, I had a crazy weekend and by the time Sunday rolled around I just wanted to sit back and relax.

I did, however, tell Ms. Hilda everyone said Happy Birthday on the ride home yesterday.

She wanted to know what in Heaven's name a "blog" was.

Trooper Thorn said...

I know that story may not be typical, but I've got to say it's another reason to love the South.

As far as this Pacific Northwesterner is concerned, ain't no hospitality like Southern hospitality.